“How much money does a medical device sales rep make?”
Every year, MedReps conducts a survey to answer this question and more:
“What size medical device company pays the highest salary?”
“How much commission do medical device sales jobs pay?”
“How does travel impact medical device sales salaries?”
“How does location, age, and gender impact medical device sales earnings?”
Medical device sales reps have the power to influence their income. That’s part of the magic in sales. The harder you work, the more you earn. This year’s 2019 Medical Sales Salary Survey found that’s exactly what reps in this field are doing.
2019 medical device sales salary key findings:
- – Medical device sales reps see the largest increase of any product category
- – Small companies offer the highest average base salary
- – Medical device sales reps who regularly spend time in the OR earn nearly 10% more than those in other market segments
- – Female medical device sales reps earn just 73% of their male counterparts
- – Average commissions are highest for those who travel just 10% of the time
Salaries across medical device sales increased by 8 percent since last year. The increase is the largest of any product category surveyed. The cause of this encouraging rise in pay? A bump of over $20,500 in commissions and bonuses.
While 47 percent of the 620 employed medical device sales respondents reported being somewhat satisfied with their earnings, only 22 percent said they’re very satisfied. However, our survey revealed this doesn’t equate to lowered job satisfaction. In fact, 76 percent of respondents said they’re satisfied in their current roles.
The reality is, medical device sales reps are dedicated to their roles. Respondents in our survey have an average of 10.5 years of experience and spend over 20 percent of their time traveling overnight.
We also found a remarkable 95 percent of medical device reps hold a four-year college degree or higher. This is likely due to a combination of the technical complexity of these products, illnesses or diseases those products are tackling, and the business acumen needed.
Check out the full findings below to learn more about how you can reap the financial rewards of a medical device sales career:
View Previous Medical Device Sales Salary Reports:
- 2018 Medical Device Salary Report
- 2017 Medical Device Salary Report
- 2016 Medical Device Salary Report
- 2015 Medical Device Salary Report
- 2014 Medical Device Salary Report
- 2013 Medical Device Salary Report
- 2012 Medical Device Salary Report
- 2011 Medical Device Salary Report