Medical sales representatives receive a number of marketing materials from their supervisors. The company’s marketing team puts together brochures, packets of information and even batches of free samples or test devices in order to assist the sales reps with their jobs. However, it’s important to note these company-sanctioned marketing materials aren’t the only options.
Developing your own marketing materials is an important part of the job. Need some ideas? Looking for some marketing tips to be the best medical sales rep you can be? Here are some of our top recommendations.
Use Content Marketing to Call Attention to Your Products
While you may already have a number of repeat customers in your area, you’ll more than likely need to attract others in order to meet your sales quotas. This requires some research on your part, as you’ll have to look at nearby hospitals and clinics in order to find the people you want to contact.
In addition to this method, you can take advantage of content marketing in order to help future customers find you instead. These suggestions also will help you keep your current customers informed of new products and research findings.
- Set Up a Blog – One method of marketing involves the use of SEO, otherwise known as Search Engine Optimization, tactics. It’s easy enough to look up some keywords that naturally relate to the products you sell, and then use them in a series of informative blog posts. By writing about your company’s medical products, you’ll attract people who are interested in them. You’ll also position yourself as an expert, which will help you sell those products to doctors.
- Create Some Infographics – Everyone loves infographics. These information-heavy graphic designs are an easy method of conveying details about a certain topic or, in this case, a product. If you want to get the attention of your customers, as well as attract a few new ones, then create an infographic or two. Thanks to programs like Canva, making these graphics is easy to do, and once you’re done, the infographic can be published on your blog or added to an email and sent out to your customers.
- Put Together an Email List and Send Out Regular Updates – On top of creating a blog and some infographics, it’s always a good idea to set up an email list. This list should consist of your existing customers, as well as a number of prospects. Just make sure everyone has provided the required authorization to be added to the list, lest you end up angering people. While you don’t want to send out these emails too often, they are an effective way to keep your customers informed of new products, studies and breakthroughs. Once a week at most is a good metric to stick to when sending out emails.
Take Advantage of Social Media
On top of content marketing, social media is another effective way to position yourself as an expert, as well as keep your customers and prospects informed about things. With so many different social media options out there, it can be a bit overwhelming to find the right one to create an account on, so here are some suggestions:
- Instagram – This social media platform is very image-heavy, although it does provide some space for lengthy captions and it allows you to create and upload videos. It could be a good supplement to your other platforms.
- Twitter – If you want to share information, like links to various new studies, or even discuss related topics with your followers, then Twitter will work just fine. It’ll be a useful tool for you to show how much you know about your products, as well as how much research you’ve put in.
- Facebook – You can create a business page tied to your personal Facebook profile and use it to share the same information as you would on your Twitter account. However, you may have a tough time getting your customers to follow or like your page. It all depends on how you handle it.
- LinkedIn – Your LinkedIn profile can be a great tool to market yourself to potential clients. You can use this platform to create discussions or even polls to find out what interests your existing and potential customers.
- Snap Chat and TikTok – While both of these social media platforms are trending, they are mainly used by younger generations of people, not necessarily the customers you want to keep informed. Plus, setting up accounts on these forums may sometimes paint you in an unprofessional light, so be careful with these two.
Going Beyond Brochures and Business Cards
Thanks to the internet, you no longer have to rely on dropping off brochures and handing out business cards in order to make your sales quotas. These marketing tips for medical sales representatives allow you to make the most of your knowledge by creating online platforms that can help all your marketing endeavors.