“How much money does a medical device sales rep make?”
Every year, MedReps conducts a survey to answer this question and more:
“What size medical device company pays the highest salary?”
“How much commission do medical device sales jobs pay?”
“How does travel impact medical device sales salaries?”
“How does location, age, and gender impact medical device sales earnings?”
We asked medical device sales reps their predictions for how the global crisis would impact the future of medical sales in our sales salary survey last year. The majority (85%) said they expected the pandemic to negatively impact their 2020 earnings.
This year, we have great news to report!
2021 Medical Device Sales Salary Key Findings:
- – Medical device sales reps see a nearly $5,000 increase in average base salary
- – Small medical device companies are growing more competitive, paying out the highest base salaries
- – Total average compensation in medical device sales jumps over $37,000 after just 2 years of experience
Social distancing mandates in 2020 presented unique challenges to meeting commissions goals, negatively impacting the total average compensation for medical device sales reps. However, medical device companies rose to support reps through the pandemic. Reps reported higher base salaries and more benefits than the previous year.
While the majority of reps expected to earn less in 2020, only 22% of medical device sales respondents reported taking home less income. The greatest impact on total average commission reps report fell in the area of travel compared to the previous year’s earnings. However, medical device sales reps reported base salary increases in 2020 of at least $7,000, regardless of how much they traveled.
The medical device sales industry is making slow progress toward gender parity. However more women were represented in this year’s survey, an increase of approximately 4%.
Job and income satisfaction are high and medical device sales reps are hopeful. While 64% of respondents felt the pandemic had a negative impact on their 2020 earnings, predictions about the ongoing impact of COVID are slightly more optimistic — only 42% say COVID will have a negative impact on 2021 earnings
Check out our full findings below to learn more about how you can develop a successful medical device sales career:
View Previous Medical Device Sales Salary Reports:
- 2020 Medical Device Sales Salary Report
- 2019 Medical Device Sales Salary Report
- 2018 Medical Device Sales Salary Report
- 2017 Medical Device Sales Salary Report
- 2016 Medical Device Sales Salary Report
- 2015 Medical Device Sales Salary Report
- 2014 Medical Device Sales Salary Report
- 2013 Medical Device Sales Salary Report
- 2012 Medical Device Sales Salary Report
- 2011 Medical Device Sales Salary Report